Fanfare and Firsts
October 19, 2013 | 7:00pm - Jack Howard Theatre
The Monroe Symphony Orchestra welcomes Neil Nathan, winner of the Marjorie Stricklin Emerging Artists Competition to open the 2013-2014 season performing the first movement of Kabalevsky’s Cello Concerto No. 1 in G minor. Work by Copland, Ibert, and Sibelius will also be performed.
- Fanfare for the Common Man by Copland
- Cello Concerto #1 by Kabalevsky
- Suite Symphonique by Ibert
- Symphony No. 1 E minor, Op. 39 by Sibelius
Jazzy Sounds of the Season
December 14, 2013 - 7PM - MONROE CIVIC CENTER ARENA
The Monroe Symphony Orchestra and vocalist Halie Loren will fill the Monroe Civic Center Arena with the jazzy sounds of holiday classics. Reserve a table and enjoy an evening of holiday cheer.
The Orchestra Grows Up
FEBRUARY 8, 2014 - 7PM - FIRST UNITED METHODIST - MONROE, LA
The Monroe Symphony Orchestra presents a family-friendly concert illustrating the growth of the orchestra including works by well-known composers include Bach, Beethoven, and Stravinsky. Britten’s Young Person’s Guide to the Orchestra, Op. 34 will also be performed.
- Air from Orchestral Suite No. 3, BWV 1068 by Bach
- Overture toMarriage of Figaro, K. 492 by Mozart
- Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67 by Beethoven
- AND MORE!
Eternal Beauty (with MSC)
MARCH 15, 2014 -7PM - FIRST BAPTIST - WEST MONROE, LA
The Monroe Symphony Orchestra and the Monroe Symphony Chorus present Faure’s stunning Requiem. Flutist, Sandra Lunte and harpist, Elizabeth Richter join this orchestra for Mozart’s Concerto for Flute and Harp.
- Requiem, Op. 48 by Fauré
- Concerto for Fluet and Harp in C Major, K. 299 by Mozart
A Night for Firsts and Faust
APRIL 12, 2014 -7PM - NEVILLE HIGH SCHOOL AUDITORIUM - MONROE, LA
Join the Monroe Symphony Orchestra as we close the 2013-2014 season with Four Dances from Estancia and excerpts from La Damnation de Faust paired with the world premiere of Mel Mobley’s Labored Breath. Virtuosic pianist Chu-Fang Huang will perform Schumann’s Piano Concerto in A minor.
- Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 54 by Schumann
- Four Dances from Estancia, Op. 8a by Ginastera
- Labored Breath by Mel Mobley
- Three Excerpts from La Damnation de Faust, Op. 24 by Berlioz